About this site
Science World British Columbia is a non-profit organization which engages British Columbians in science and inspires future science and technology leadership throughout our province.
Science World’s education team can help you unravel some of science's mysteries. We’ll do our best to connect you with the information and resources you need. Contact us by:
- Twitter @scienceworldtr
Science World Resources
The majority of these lessons were designed for Science World's Super Science Club, an after school program which delivers educational experiences beyond the traditional classroom structure. Through science and technology-related activities, students are encouraged to explore and develop critical thinking skills.
- Objectives: What students will be able to do at completion of the lesson
- Curriculum Connections: B.C. Ministry of Education PLOs have been scoured and any connections to grade and subject area are outlined
- Introduction: Brief background and expectation of the lesson
- Background: More information on the topic area.
- List of Activities: Names of the activities, games, demonstrations or make + takes included in the lesson
- Vocabulary, References and Resources: Keywords are listed and defined, and links for more information or for a potential field trip opportunity
Activities are structured as follows:
- Activities are split into the following types, and time to complete is given:
- Demonstration (teacher directly illustrates a concept)
- Activity (has a determined outcome, often involves group work)
- Exploration (open-ended hands-on activity, often involves group work)
- Game (often played outdoors)
- Make + Take (students create something they can take home)
- Materials: Things required to do the lesson, includes links for where to find/buy materials
- Introduction: Brief background and expectation of the activity.
- What to Do: Stepwise instructions to carry out the activity
- Key Questions: Main points which can be asked of students during or after activity
- Extensions: Suggestions for how to make the activity more in-depth are listed
- Resources: links for more information or a potential field trip opportunity